Latest News 30th June 2013
The Solar Project has ended.
Latest News 31st March 2013
Here are some key dates to bear in mind regarding
the UK Feed in Tariff (FiT), these are as follows:
- From 1 April 2012 all feed-in tariffs become
conditional on your home having an energy performance certificate
- From 14th June 2012 : New installations
completed under the Sustainable Crediton Solar Project are entitled
to a 10% discount upto the 13th June 2013. There will be no
- From 1 August 2012 : The term of FIT payments is
reducing from 25 to 20 years. Thereafter there will be quarterly
reductions in the FIT rate of 3.5%.
- from 1st November 2012, the FIT rate reduces to
15.44p per KWH. This rate is valid until 30 June 2013.
Some of the key benefits of a Solar PV
- A generation tariff of a minimum 15.44p FiT per
- Electricity that you use is free, saving an
extra 12p (approx) per unit, on top of the 16p
- If you don't use it in your home, any
electricity that you export to the National Grid earns you an
additional 3.2p per unit.
- Income is at present guaranteed for 20 years
from the day your system is installed.
- Your FIT rates are index linked to inflation.
It's when you start that matters.
- All FiT income is tax free.
- Reduce your carbon footprint.
- Increase the value of your property.
We believe it is still worthwhile to commit to PV
at this level of tariff even if stringent energy efficiency
measures are required from April 2012. The rate of return at a 10%
discount on our prices is around 10% tax free and index linked, far
better than any bank or building society investment. All
member orders installed after 14th June 2012 will receive a 10%
discount. Contact Linda if you'd like to
sign up for a free survey.
Sandford Energy Group and Sustainable
Crediton have created a Buying Group for members to buy
Photovoltaic Systems from a reliable and reputable installer at a
lower cost than to the general public. We want to help people
reduce their carbon footprints and energy bills. We are not a
company trying to make money!
Benefits of the Buying Group
- 10% discount throughout the 2nd year of our
- Very keen prices following competitive
- Process for regularly checking prices
- Local company rep carries out the surveys
- Safety in numbers, installer will always be
motivated to perform well
- Scheme encourages internal recommendation, the
more people joining, the greater the rebates.
- Applies to all Sustainable Crediton supporters
living in and around Crediton EX17 post code area or within 4 miles
if not in EX17 post code.
Why Solar PV
- Save on CO2 emissions
- Save on your electricity bills
- Get paid tax free and index linked Feed In
Tariff for 25years for all electricity generated
- Earn extra for all electricity exported
- Possibly increase the value of your home
- Protection from increasing energy costs
Feed in Tariff [FIT]
What you get for systems up to 4kWp installed
after 1st April 2012: 21 p for every unit of electricity generated
- whether you use it in the house or it's surplus you send to the
national grid. It's guaranteed over 25 years, tax free and index
linked. Seems to good to be true, but it is! After the 1st August
2012, the FiT drops to 16p and is payable for 20 years.
Daytime free electricity -
not all you require but should reduce bills considerably.
Another 3.2p per unit on
what you put into the national grid.
An example: PV on Sandford Stores has generated
over 4,500 units in 18 months, saved a lot on electricity bills and
put half the units into the grid
Our Chosen Installer:
- Questionnaires sent out to 28 installers for
reply by end of November 2010
- 14 detailed responses received covering prices,
discounts, experience etc
- Short-listed to 5 during December 2010
- Tender issued in January 2011 with 3 responses
- Solarsense evaluated to be the best value
Solarsense is a fully
accredited installer of both solar thermal (hot water) and PV
(electric) systems and have installed over 3,100 such systems since
1994, making them the leading installer in Bristol, Somerset and
the South West, and amongst the most experienced in the UK.
Solarsense win British Renewable Energy Company of
the Year Award.
Buying Group Prices, Discounts and
- A price list of a wide range of PV systems
- 10% community discount applicable to Sustainable
Crediton supporters who have joined the scheme
Current price list dated
June 2012 applicable to all new applicants from 14th June 2012.
1 and Page 2for the new
investment based on Buying Group rates (June
2012) but at the new FIT rate of 16p
- 3.84KWp Renesolar system costs £8138 less 10%
plus scaffold if req'd at £450 = £7796 incl VAT
- Forecast PV output= 3264KWh
- FIT income 3264 X 15.44p = £504
- Export payment = 1632 X 3.2p =£52
- Electricity used saving = 1632 x 15p =£245
- Total saving pa=£801
- Payback = 7796/801 = 9.7 years or ~ 10% pa ROI
- Further 10.3 years of FIT payments and
Typically, given normal weather, the system would
earn over £800 per annum , a much better return than bank or
building society on an investment of just under £8000. Repayment
time would be about 10 years and the income would continue for the
guaranteed 20 years. With a low cost loan such as an extension to a
mortgage, the FIT money should contribute to repayments and you
would still get [increasingly valuable] free electricity which
would continue after the loan is repaid.
- 5 years parts and labour guarantee
- 10 year warranty on the inverter
- PV panels power output warranty 20 years at 80%
of new performance.
Requirements for PV
You need a reasonable sized roof facing south, south-west or
south-east. Not shaded by trees or buildings. Roof must be
Free installation offers
We have investigated these and found catches in most of them. If
you have some savings or can secure a loan, it's better to pay for
installation yourself and gain the FIT money.
Each installation will be priced individually since there are lots
of variables - size of available roof space, condition of roof,
loft space, need for scaffolding, etc. However prices will be those
in the Agreement unless the customer asks for an alternative system
or has some complications such as an unsound roof.
Scaffolding extra £450
Asbestos roof tiles extra £500
Slate roof extra £650
Structural survey if required by client extra
These would be between the individual householder and
How to take part:
- Joining fee of £5 payable to Sustainable
Crediton (cheque made out to Sustainable Crediton ). This applies
to individuals or community groups.
- We will pass on your details to Solarsense and
let you know we have done so.
- Solarsense will perform a survey and provide a
quote based on agreed prices and discounts and including a £15
donation to Sustainable Crediton
- If customer accepts the quotation, then customer
pays Solarsense a 20% deposit on order.
- Solarsense completes the installation, full
payment becomes due to Solarsense
- A £15 donation is paid to Sustainable Crediton
To join email firstname.lastname@example.org or
ring Linda Lever 01363 777624 or download this application
form, complete it and
post/deliver to one of the addresses on the form
Communications with Solarsense after
joining the Buying Group
As soon as Sustainable Crediton receives your
application form and £5 joining fee we will pass on your details to
Solarsense's local rep.
The Solarsense rep will endeavour to contact you
within 2 working days of his receiving your details from us.
If you have not been contacted within a
reasonable timeframe please call the Solarsense Marketing and
Relations Coordinator responsible for our Buying Group in Bristol
on 01275 461800 or Linda Lever on 01363 777624
The Agreement with Solarsense in
Read the full Agreement to discover what
Solarsense's obligations are to you.
Agreement Amendment 1
The Agreement Amendment 2
Why £20 for Sustainable
- We are a not for profit community group run by
- We are dependent on donations and small grants
to pay our running costs such as stationery, website, hall hire,
- Many man-hours expended on this project and some
on-going expenses for advertising to promote the scheme.
Please note that Sustainable
Crediton or any individual or individuals working to promote
the Sustainable Crediton Solar Project cannot accept any liability
whatsoever in respect of any loss or damage suffered by a purchaser
or any other person in respect of any goods supplied or installed
under this Project, including any loss or damage suffered as a
result of the quality or lack of fitness for purpose of any goods
supplied or installed, or any failure by the supplier to deliver or
install the goods or to install them to the purchaser's
satisfaction. Sustainable Crediton and members of this
group have provided all information in good faith and you are
solely responsible for your own project, any survey or preparatory
works and no reliance can be placed on this document, the public
meeting(s) or any other communication from Sustainable
Crediton or the Sustainable Crediton Solar Project. Please
make sure you have checked the credentials of anyone visiting your
home and take appropriate security precautions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Simple Guide to Feed-in Tariffs
Updated 1st January 2013