Review of WAG meeting


Nichols Nymet, EX20 2B GoogleMap


1. Present

Esther, Nancy, Jill, Anne, Ruth, Chris, Carolyn
Apologies - Polly, Imogen

2. Matters Arising

a) Anne proposed a vote of thanks for Esther's outstanding work as Co-ordinator for WAG for the past three years. All heartily agreed. Although Esther is stepping back from that post, she will still be active within the group & will remain the group contact on the Sustainable Crediton website.

b) Crediton Library Reuse Week Exhibition

Thanks to Mel & Imogen for organising the display. Public have made notes on how they reuse.
Action -  Esther will collate notes, & feedback to group at next meeting.

c) Repair café update

Ruth has not heard back from Ann Varker re date for repair café at the Methodist church.
Ruth has fundraised £1200 from the Mid Devon Tap Fund for setting up a repair café in Blackdown Hills, & is willing to help with fundraising for other areas. She also mentioned Catherine Causley - Reuse Officer with the County Council who can help with the setting up of repair cafes.

3. Seed Share Feedback

A variety of stalls, music, lovely cakes & soup, & a great team of volunteers helped to make this a very successful event. Well attended, publicity was particularly effective, drawing in newcomers & people who had attended our previous food surplus café.   It was noted that gluten free bread could be provided at future events.
£250 taken on food, £100 in donations.

4. Food Festival

Volunteers available - Nancy, Esther, Jill, Carolyn.  Maybe Chris, Polly? Imogen?

Action - Esther to seek more volunteers & contact suppliers for fruit (for smoothie bike).

Ruth from Ruth's Real Food has agreed to do the surplus food demonstration, but has requested support.

Action - Ruth LW will contact Tiverton helpers for the demo & will send 'Ten Most Wasted Foods' to Carolyn. As this may be a good starting point for Ruth & her demo.

Action - Jill to follow up with Tim re demos. Anne to check with Rachel Luxton re stall booking and cost.

Action - Carolyn to contact Ruth (RF) for her availability  to meet with us & volunteer helper.

River Cottage couldn't help this year but maybe next. Anne has informed Tim Harris.

Action - Jill to contact Coastal Waste for costs on recycling & what they can recycle.

Nancy will take compostable waste items home, cups, wooden cutlery etc.

Display for stall - Esther has some decorations. Ruth has LFHW tablecloth, booklets & some other items for giving away.

Smoothie bike

Action - Ruth will book smoothie bike

Action - Carolyn to contact Tim re stall size & level space for smoothie bike.


5. AOB

a) Ruth's Update:

LFHW training on how to set up a food surplus café, could run in Crediton. Possible dates 23 June or 23 July.

Action - Anne to send Ruth a list of organisations who might be interested in some training.

Devon Community Food Action collect food from retailers, then re-distribute to other organisations to pass on.   

b) Composting Demonstration

Mel & Shirley (from Knightshayes) will give a demo on a suitable compost heap.

Action - Anne will ask the Crediton Garden Club & Allotments if they would like this demo, & feedback to Mel.

c) Surfers Against Sewage are working towards plastic free communities & eliminating single use plastic.

d) Devon Waste Committee are working on how to encourage the public to use their food recycling bins  more and nso it does not go to land fill.

e) Plastic Tip of the Week in Crediton Courier

Imogen, & possibly Nancy, have volunteered to organise this.
Action - Chris to contact Alan Quicke at CC

f)  North Tawton Plastic Recycling Group have won the West Devon Mayoral Green Award for 2017/18.


6. Date of next meeting

Thurs 10 May, 2.15pm at Jill's home.


Anyone interested in Reducing, Reusing or Recycling is welcome to come and join our small friendy group and see what we are planning. All ideas welcome!


Notes from last meeting 

Last updated on by Anne Tucker