The name of the Organisation shall be Sustainable Crediton. The
Steering Group could, in consultation with members, choose an
alternative working title for everyday use. A formal name
change for the Organisation shall be agreed at any Annual or
Special General Meeting.
The core purpose of Sustainable Crediton is to raise awareness
and mobilise community action in order to respond effectively
and positively to climate change and peak oil. Sustainable
Crediton is dedicated to taking positive action to prevent
further damage to the environment and prepare for changes in
energy supply on four levels: individual, local, national and
In order to achieve its core purpose Sustainable Crediton may
through its Steering Group:
- Raise funds
- Open bank accounts
- Take out insurance
- Employ staff
- Organise courses and events
- Work with other organisations and exchange information and
advice with them
- Do anything that is lawful which will help it to fulfil its
- Membership of Sustainable Crediton shall be open to any
individual without regard to age, disability, political or
religious affiliation, race, sex or sexual orientation who
- interested in helping Sustainable Crediton to achieve its
- willing to abide by the rules of Sustainable Crediton
- willing to pay any annual subscription agreed by the Steering
- registered as a member in the Sustainable Crediton
2. The membership of any member may be
terminated for good reason by the Steering Group: Provided
that the member concerned shall have the right to
be heard by the Steering Group, accompanied by a friend,
before a final decision is made.
- Sustainable Crediton shall be administered by a Steering Group
of not less than six and not more than twelve individuals
elected at Sustainable Crediton`s Annual General Meeting (A.G.M.).
The Steering Group shall comprise of Steering Group Officers
and Steering Group Members.
- The Officers of the Steering Group shall be: the Chair, the
Vice Chair, the Treasurer, the Secretary, the Press Officer,
the Membership Communications Officer, and the Publicity
Officer. Officer roles may be combined.
- The Steering Group may co-opt onto the Steering Group members
and nonmembers in an advisory and non-voting capacity that it
feels will help to fulfil the purpose of Sustainable Crediton.
The number of co-opted members, other than Action Group
Leaders, shall be limited to six.
- The Steering Group shall have the ability to nominate and
support Action Groups consisting of Steering Group
Officers/Members and/or members in order to facilitate
different programmes and activities. Action Group Leaders shall
be co-opted onto the Steering Group in a non-voting capacity
whilst their group is active and shall report progress on
their programmes and activities to the Steering Group.
- The Steering Group shall agree a budget for major events or
projects with the organiser. In the event that a budget
increase is required, then the organiser shall submit an
increase request to the Steering Group for consideration.
- The Steering Group shall meet as required but as a minimum
bi-monthly. At least one third (minimum four) of the Steering Group
including the Chair or Vice Chair must be present for a
Steering Group meeting to take place.
- Decisions at Steering Group meetings shall where possible be by
consensus, but in the absence of consensus, then decisions
will be voted on by a show of hands. If there is a tied vote
then the Chair (or in the Chair's absence, the Vice
Chair) shall have a second vote.
- The Steering Group shall have the power to remove any Member of
the Steering Group for good and proper reason.
- The Steering Group may appoint any other member of Sustainable
Crediton as a Steering Group Member to fill a vacancy,
provided that the maximum prescribed is not exceeded.
- All Steering Group Members are elected for a period of one
year. All Steering Group Members shall retire at the AGM but
may be re-elected as set out in 11. below.
- A nominating group, chaired by the Chair shall prepare a slate
of consenting candidates for the positions of: Chair, Vice
Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Press Officer, Membership
Communications Officer, Publicity Officer and other Steering
Group members. All Members of Sustainable Crediton shall have the
right to be candidates for the Steering Group and Officers of
Sustainable Crediton. The election for each position at the
AGM shall be made by a show of hands. To be elected,
a candidate shall receive the largest number of votes cast by
the members present. The Chair shall conduct the election of
Steering Group Members and Officers.
The Duties of the Officers
The duties of the Officers shall include but not be limited
- The Chair shall:
- chair meetings of the Steering Group and Sustainable
- steer Sustainable Crediton to satisfactory completion of its
- work with other organisations and exchange information and
advice with them
- approve press releases
- represent Sustainable Crediton at functions/meetings that
Sustainable Crediton has been invited to or delegate a
representative from the Steering Group/Sustainable Crediton
and act as a spokesperson for Sustainable Crediton when
- The Vice Chair shall:
- Deputise for the Chair in the Chair's absence
- The Secretary shall:
- prepare in consultation with the Chair the agenda for meetings
of the Steering Group and Sustainable Crediton
- take, keep and distribute minutes of all meetings
- The Treasurer shall:
- supervise the financial affairs of Sustainable Crediton
- keep proper accounts that show all monies received and paid out
by Sustainable Crediton.
- The Press Officer shall:
- draft and issue press releases after approval by the Chair
- make and maintain contacts and promote Sustainable Crediton
with the press and media
- act as a spokesperson for Sustainable Crediton when
- The Membership Communications Officer shall:
- keep a membership list
- collect and circulate any relevant information within
- The Publicity Officer shall:
- coordinate all aspects of publicity including but not limited
to advertising, leaflet and flyer production
- liaise with the Press Officer over press release content and
- The Action Group Leaders shall:
- set and agree budgets for their programmes with the Steering
- progress the Action Group's stated aims to a satisfactory
- report progress to the Steering Group at Steering Group
- All monies received by or on behalf of Sustainable Crediton
shall be applied to further the aim of Sustainable Crediton
and for no other purpose.
- Any bank accounts opened for Sustainable Crediton shall be in
the name of Sustainable Crediton.
- Any cheques issued shall be signed by the Treasurer and any one
of the other three nominated members of the Steering
- Sustainable Crediton shall ensure that its accounts are audited
or independently examined every year.
- Sustainable Crediton may pay reasonable out of pocket expenses
including travel, childcare and meal costs to members or
Steering Group Members.
Annual General Meeting
- Sustainable Crediton shall hold an Annual General Meeting
(A.G.M.) no later than three months after the end of the
- All members shall be given at least fourteen days notice of the
A.G.M. and shall be entitled to attend and vote. Voting shall
be by a show of hands. In the event of a tie, the Chair shall
have the casting vote.
- The business of the A.G.M. shall include:
- receiving a report from the Chair on Sustainable Crediton`s
activities over the year
- receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of
- considering and voting on changes in annual subscription
- electing a new Steering Group and
- considering any other matter as may be decided.
Special General Meeting
A Special General Meeting may be called by the Steering Group or
10 members to discuss an urgent matter. The Secretary shall
give all members fourteen days notice of any Special General
Meeting together with notice of the business to
Alterations to the Constitution
Any changes to this Constitution must be presented to the
membership as part of the Notice calling for the Annual or
Special General Meeting and agreed by a majority of those
members present and voting at the Meeting.
Sustainable Crediton may be wound up at any time if agreed by a
majority of those members present and voting at any Annual or
Special General Meeting. In the event of winding up, any
assets remaining after all debts have been paid shall be given
to another organisation with a similar aim.